How to Start a Flower Farm
If you love flowers and gardening, starting a cut flower farm might be a great way to incorporate your passions and earn a living doing what you love!
Start out on a smaller scale if you have a full time job. A small plot of land is all you need to start, and you don’t need a huge budget.
As the farm gets established and word spreads, you can grow your cut flower farm into a full time career.
There are several business models you can follow. Some flower farmers choose to cut their flowers for market while others opt for a U-Pick model, letting customers come to the flower farm pick their own. A hybrid model is also possible.
Some thoughts to consider:
- Perennials grow yearly and save time and money
- Grow big colorful flowers that command a higher price
- Plant seeds that work for your climate and zone
- Research local, federal, and state laws on starting a cut flower farm
- Start a CSA, sell at farmers markets, sell to wholesalers
- Decide what your end goals are and work backwards
About Aquino Baron Consulting
Aquino Baron Consulting serves the argitourism industry. We can help answer questions about how to start a flower farm or we can help you optimize your current business. Contact us today to learn more.